Stephen McNamara is a Managing Member of the firm, His technical career began with a B.S.Ch.E. in Chemical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), followed by two years’ R & D in packed tower media for Koch Engineering. He graduated first in his class from the University of Connecticut School of Law in 1986, and has spent the years since then involved in legal matters relating to technologies ranging from mechanical devices (including footwear, firearms, and autonomous networked devices), to financial systems, to medical devices, to skin care products and treatments, to protein and mRNA technologies.
He has extensive experience in US and international trademark, copyright, and domain name counselling, registration, portfolio management and disputes. He has been lead counsel in numerous trademark oppositions and litigations, and UDRP domain name dispute proceedings.
He has the same range of experience in US and international patent matters, including patentability opinions, patent prosecution and management, and strategic counselling on the development of both domestic and international patent portfolios, as well as leading teams in patent litigation, and PTO IPRs (Inter Partes Review) and Ex Parte Reexaminations.
Mr. McNamara also is often involved in consulting on the IP issues involved in mergers and acquisitions and managing the process of recording transfers of ownership of IP.
He has been recognized annually as a Connecticut Super Lawyer in the field of Intellectual Property by Super Lawyers magazine since 2008. He is a past President of the Connecticut Intellectual Property Law Association.
- J.D., University of Connecticut 1986
- B.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Chemical Engineering 1980
- University of Connecticut, High Honors
- University of Connecticut, Articles Editor of the International Law Journal
- Connecticut Super Lawyers 2008-2023
- State of Connecticut
- State of New York
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- Connecticut Intellectual Property Law Association (President 1994-1995)
- International Trademark Association