Michael A. Cornman is a distinguished Of Counsel in St. Onge IP’s Stamford office, having practiced law for more than five decades.
He has prosecuted and defended countless patent, trademark, and copyright infringement cases in jurisdictions throughout the United States. In addition, he has handled a variety of contested patent and trademark proceedings in the USPTO. He has appeared before the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, Circuit Court of Appeals, as well as appellate tribunals of the USPTO in connection with patent and trademark issues.
During his career, Mr. Cornman has been involved in the licensing and solicitation of patent protection for high technology embracing a variety of developments ranging from steel manufacturing and processing, sophisticated biomedical apparatus, advanced ion mobilityspectrometric bomb detection apparatus, complex computer programs, and e-commerce Internet systems. He has represented intellectual property owners from all over the world in these endeavors. Mr. Cornman has also participated in INTA panels through the years, as well as providing his services as an expert witness in trademark matters.
Mr. Cornman is the retired Acting Village Justice of Irvington, New York. In his distant past he was once a member of the NY State Park Police under the legendary Robert Moses. And, in his spare time he enjoys golf, cooking and baking, theater productions, and collecting antique cooking tools – but only if they have a crank handle.
- Cornell University (B.M.E.), 1957
- Fordham University (J.D.), 1961
- New York
- US District Court (SDNY and EDNY)
- US Court of Appeals for Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for Seventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals – Federal Circuit
- US Supreme Court
- Patents – Mechanical and Electromechanical Devices, Garment and Footwear Construction
- US Litigation
- Women’s clothing – sportswear and formalwear
- Uniforms – medical and hospitality
- Small arms and ammunition
- Paper and paperboard products
- Restaurants and Hospitality
- Frozen seafood
- Refrigeration devices
- Flooring: rugs, carpeting, and wooden flooring products
- Alcoholic beverages
- TV Production
- Signage and Advertising
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association (NYIPLA)
- Cornell Society of Engineers